Sunday, September 20, 2009

XP issue - Help needed to correct my computer.?

While trying to restart my computer said that ../windows/system32/config/system file was missing or corrupted. It asked to insert the original Windows XP setup CD and try to repair. (My OS was XP home)



I tried but it was not successful.



I have a XP professional edition. I tried to setup the XP professional edition; setup was successful (on a different folder- this time I used a folder with name WINXP).



But what about the Antivirus and other software installations? Is there any better way to handle it? I welcome suggestions and ideas.



Note:



Now I have two Operating systems at my computer. When I restart, it asks me which OS it should start. If I say XP Home, it never starts. Professional edition starts but all other software installations are inaccessible.



Please help me with your suggestions. Thanks!



XP issue - Help needed to correct my computer.?cafe racer



Not sure i know the answer, but i got that exact error. I could only get system to boot from cd. I treid everything, finally got new hardrive and that solved my problem. set up old one as slave to recover my files.



XP issue - Help needed to correct my computer.?free anti virus



In the Control Panel on the Systems icon, Select the Advanced tab, Under Startup and Recovery select Settings, under the Default operating system, click the drop-down arrow and select Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Next check the "Time to display list of operating systems and make the time "0", click ok to close.
OP wrote:



"my computer said that ../windows/system32/config/sys... file was missing or corrupted."



I am running Windows XP and checked, and there is no such filename or folder name (there is a C:/WINNT/Config folder). Further I have done a lot of troubleshooting on Window over the years, and my gut tells that you are not citing the message accurately.



If the message is really as you said, then there is possibly little harm in simply attempting to delete this file from the MS Windows Recovery Console that you should be able to reach when you place your installation CD in the drive and reboot.

No comments:

Post a Comment