Sunday, September 20, 2009

Why can't I see my desktop icons nor my taskbar when I log on to my Windows XP Pro - only my wa

Before I had this problem my computer was infected with trojans and I have been trying to remove WinAntiVirus Pro 2007. Tthe "anti" software for that I was using was Windows Defender, AVG, and CCleaner and they all reported WAVP 07 was gone but I keep getting popups. So yesterday after my screen was filled with adware popups and fake Internet Explorer messages saying that they're downloading WAVP and other programs , I restarted my computer holding the power button. And thats when I got this problem.



I've read other posts about similar problems but nothing has worked. When I use ctrl+alt+del and go to the task manager then processes, i find explorer.exe and end it then run it in new tasks. Still nothing happens. Also explorer.exe has been using 98% of the CPU.



Other posts say that you should run antivirus/spyware/adware software, but how do I do that if I can't go to START on the taskbar? Could this problem be a virus. I found explorer.exe in C:\WINDOWS. Is that the right place?



Why can't I see my desktop icons nor my taskbar when I log on to my Windows XP Pro - only my wallpaper showsariel



C:\Windows is where explorer.exe resides. I run windowsXP pro. service pack 2 and the size of my explorer.exe file is 1,008kb in size



I'm sure you have already figured out that the reason you do not see any icons or the start menu bar when you log in, is because your explorer.exe has crashed.



Have you tried booting the system in Safe Mode, and if so, do you get desktop icons there? Have you tried scanning your system from safemode ?



The only suggestion I can make, is to boot up to your WindowsXP disk, chose the "R" for Recovery Consule and copy the explorer.exe off of the disk and over write the one in C:\Windows



Why can't I see my desktop icons nor my taskbar when I log on to my Windows XP Pro - only my wallpaper showscomputers



WTG Perk !! Report It


Start the computer in SAFE mode and run your spyware/antivirus programs

No comments:

Post a Comment