Saturday, June 19, 2010

"... has encountered a problem and needs to close" all the time?

Something's happened on my laptop but not sure what.



We had antivirus software installed and that's never reported anything. I've recently installed free.grisoft.com too, and that's clear too.



THE PROBLEM



===========



I rebooted a couple of weeks ago, and then whenever I do anything that seems to have anything to do with connecting to the internet:



- IE and try to access google



- Firefox and try to access google



- Windows Media Player (9 or 10) and play a locally stored movie



(other things too that I can't remember)



it always says almost immediately, "[name of program] has encountered a problem and needs to close"



My workaround is to just move this dialog box off the edge of the screen, and carry on working as usual (surfing, watching the movie, etc) - and things work fine.



But it's very annoying to have this dialog box up all the time, and I can't click "Send" or "Don't Send" because then the application closes.



How can I resolve this, please?



"... has encountered a problem and needs to close" all the time?computer



Before reinstalling your computer (a drastic step!) could you go into Control Panel and access Event Viewer and check the Error Log to see what it says is happening when you try to access the 3 programs you have mentioned? If it has the same error message in each case, could you come back here and add details of the error message to your question please?

No comments:

Post a Comment