Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Question about SSL on home computer?

I am at my wits end with this problem and I am hoping someone out there can help me with it.



Problem: when I purchase something online my computer won't show the confirmation pages for my purchases althought the purchase generally shows up on my bank site and I receive confirmation email from the company I purchase from. In my online college library, after I type in a search, it won't go to the results. There is a lot of lag sometimes, too. I can no longer use Yahoo Chat because the program keeps turning off and on while I am chatting. I tried using other chat clients but have the same result with them. My antivirus software (AVG Free and Prevx) says everything is all clear as far as that goes.AT%26T has reset the router three times, and there doesn't appear to be a line issue, so I am thinking maybe I am having an SSL issue. But, this is just a shot in the dark for me as I know a smidgen about computers but not enough to say for sure what the problem is. Don't want to have to wipe it!



Question about SSL on home computer?mcaffee



There are many tests for SSl function - here is one that is a quick check from Boston University, that will just establish a SSL (HTTPS) connection and verify that encrypted data can transfer back and forth.



Generally you wouldn't be able to even make a purchase online if SSL was not working, as the credit card page should ALWAYS be encrypted . Not sure if you have ever run firefox browser instead of Microsoft Internet explorer. But that would be an excellent way to test SSL function, and the security of your connection, beside that FIREFOX is more secure that IE.



My suspicion is that your connection is being spoofed or hijacked, maybe intentionally. Do you share a wireless connection in your house? Perhaps the router will not do 128 bit encryption. I would try to hardwire to the router just for a test, instead of wireless, if that is your configuration.



What DO YOU GET when you complete a purchase? I mean what screen comes up? connection lost error? timed out? or just...nothing?



The error may give you a clue, as well. Good luck.



Oh yeah, one thing I didn't think about - Your browser configuration may be set to block pages that contain secure and non-secure items. Check under TOOLS-%26gt;OPTIONS for SSL settings and security settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment