Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Home Networking Help!?

I am trying to set up a home network between my Dell XPS Desktop (running Windows XP Media Center Edition) and my Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook (running Windows XP Home Edition). I have run the network setup on both computers, using the same workgroup name for both. The desktop can view the files on my laptop, but my laptop can't view the files on the desktop. I have tried to fix the firewall, but I am not sure if I did it right. Both computers are running Norton 360 as the antivirus software, and have the windows firewall enabled. If you think it is a firewall issue, give me detailed instuctions on how to fix it. Also, I am using a Linksys router and my internet connection on the laptop is working.



Thanks in advance for your help!



Home Networking Help!?live update



You could temporarily disable the firewalls to see if this solves the problem. If so, you may need to configure the settings on Norton.



If not, have you checked to see if the desktop has a shared folder enabled?



Friend had same problem - he had to start using the actual internal IP numbers rather than the computer names when setting up the network 鈥?and then shut off DHCP server so IP鈥檚 are static.



Home Networking Help!?norten



Did you update the file sharing option on your Desktop ?

No comments:

Post a Comment